Happy Chinese New Year Message from Sadiq Khan
Chinese New Year is a time to celebrate with friends and family, reflect on the past year and look forward to the future. As we mark the start of the Year of the Monkey, let us also celebrate the many contributions of London’s Chinese community which enrich our lives in this city.
My story is one that will be familiar to many in the Chinese community. My parents came to London in the 1960s, my dad working hard as a bus driver while my mum sewed clothes. They provided for me and my brothers and sisters as we grew up on our London council estate. I worked hard at school and university and after qualifying as a lawyer I set up my own law firm and helped build a successful business from scratch. I still live locally with my wife, bringing up our two daughters.
This year, I am running to serve you as London Mayor. I want all Londoners to have the same opportunities that our city gave me and my family: a home they can afford, a HIGH-skilled job with decent pay, an affordable and modern transport system and a safe, clean and healthy environment.
As your Mayor I will:
- Continue to support annual Chinese New Year celebrations to promote Chinese culture
- Work with the Chinese business community and Westminster Council to secure the future of Chinatown as a hub for Chinese business and the community, as part of a wider strategy to protect and expand space for business across London
- Work with London’s business community to promote economic links with China and East Asia
- Introduce a zero-tolerance approach to racist hate crimes, and ensure the police have the resources they need
- Work with London’s Chinese community leaders to promote understanding and build closer links
- Support the Chinese community’s call for a London Memorial for the 95,000 Chinese Labour Corps members, whose contribution to Britain during the First World War has yet to be properly commemorated
I wish you and your family good health, prosperity and happiness this Chinese New Year. London is the greatest city in the world. Together let’s make it even better.
2016 倫敦市長候選人簡薩迪 (Sadiq Khan)